This Walnut Brownie with Salted Caramel Sauce recipe is inspired by a cafe that I visited when in Stockhom. A Swedish brownie recipe you will say – that’s weird! Well, it’s actually not that weird since the Swedish love their coffee break which they call Fika. So one day in Stockholm during Fika time we walked into this health cafe called ‘Hermanns‘ and believe it or not they had a all-you-can-eat-cake-and-dessert-bar.
Good news is: we were there at the right time and it didn’t cost a fortune. Bad news is: I saw the sign for the dessert-all-you-can-eat after I had the lunch buffet. I was so full I coudn’t even have a tea. I noticed a brownie topped with which looked like a thick caramel sauce. It looked so rich and delish I was determined to try this at home. So I did!
My version is based on the ida that you can make a delicious brownie out of beans! Yes, it’s true! And no, you cannot taste the beans. But what the beans do, they make your brownie super juicy and in a way allow the dough to stick together nicely. I also use walnut flour or ground walnuts which add a nutty and rich flavor to it. Therefore it is not only free from dairy but also gluten-free! So you guys excited now?
Here comes my version of the Swedish brownie with a salted caramel sauce and popcorn topping.
- 15 dates pre-soaked in warm water
- 100 g walnuts finely ground
- 150 g kidney beans
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 handful chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
Coconut Caramel Sauce
- 12 dates pre-soaked in warm water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In your blender blend the dates and kidney beans with the coconut milk and the vanilla essence.
- Remove the mix from the blender and add into a clean bowl.
- Mix the walnut flour with the baking powder, cocoa powder and chopped walnuts. Now add this to the kidney bean mixture and combine with a spoon until its all incorporated.
- Line a brownie pan and pour in the mixture. Bake 30 minutes at 190 degrees celsius. Let cool entirely.
- For the caramel sauce, add blend the ingredients until you get a smooth caramel sauce. Drizzle over your bownie and top with popcorn!