This Vegan Grilled Cheese Avocado Sandwich has been on constant rotation in our camper van for the last month. Usually, I am not the biggest fan of convenience food, and most vegan cheeses definitely fall into that category due toothier ingredients. But for a camping trip and a cold January where everyone is in need of some comfort food, these Vegan Grilled Avocado Sandwiches just come in so handy. They are warming, delicious and with the right wholesome ingredients, these can also be made fairly healthy.
The ingredient that makes or breaks a vegan cheese sandwich is without a doubt, the vegan cheese. As we all know, good vegan cheese is hard to come by. I have tried my fair share of vegan cheese around the world. California had some good products. But Germany is not getting tired of throwing new vegan cheeses on the market.
But so far I haven’t found a better one than the Violife cheese (not sponsored, but it’s just the best). Funnily enough it is a Greek company making these cheeses and they offer anything from slices to feta and even hard cheese. Honestly speaking, not one of their cheeses has disappointed (which most vegan cheeses do). And the one cheese you want for your grilled vegan cheese you want one that actually melts like the real one, right? And trust me this one does.
By the way, if you would like to give your own vegan cheeses a try, I have some super easy recipes on here. Even if you are a vegan beginner or do not have a lot of experience in cooking or cheese making, you can still easily manage through those recipes. There is a vegan marinated feta cheese which you could try or a basic recipe that helps you to make 4 different cheese variations.
To add some greens to your Vegan Grilled Cheese Avocado Sandwich I have added a good chunk of kale which also adds a really nice fresh crunch to the sammie. Pickled onions (I found these really cool ones in pink) add a great flavor punch. And it all up, healthy fats comes in form of creamy avocado. Tastewise and texturewise, you get the real deal here. The sandwich is creamy, crunchy, soft and at the same time sweet and tangy.
Vegan Grilled Cheese Avocado Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 sliced avocado
- 2 big pickled onions
- 2-3 slices vegan cheese (I used the Violife)
- 2 stalks kale
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 pinch salt + pepper
- Spread the mustard on 2 of the 4 sourdough slices.
- Place the sliced avocado on top of the 2 mustard bread slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the sliced onions on top of the avocado followed by the cheese slices and the kale leaves.
- Cover your sandwich with the other sourdough slice.
- Heat your non-stick frying pan and place the sandwiches in there. Cover with a lid and check every 3 minutes if the cheese has melted and the bread is toasted nicely. Flip the sandwich so it's browned evenly from both sides.
- Remove from the pan and let cool slightly before eating!
For more vegan comfort foods, please check out my Loaded Veggie Fries, my Vegan Smoked Salmon Sliders, my Healthy Stuffed Apples and my Deluxe Chocolate Granola Bars.