Vegan Gingerbread Bombs. You already have my full attention here. Gingerbread has always been one of my favorite Christmas treats. I never understood why you can only buy gingerbread leading up to Christmas and not during the year. Would people not want to have it in spring or summer? I would totally buy it!
My absolute favorites are the original gingerbread hearts. No, not the ones you buy during Oktoberfest with your name on them. They are soft chewy little gingerbread hearts covered with dark chocolate filled with raspberry jam. Since you cannot buy them during the year I find it quite hard not to buy and eat too many of them during Christmas time. I guess it’s the restriction effect!
Most people in Germany don’t actually make gingerbread from scratch – it’s something that most people buy nowadays (unless you are a grandma with lots of time on your hand or you are a dedicated foodie!)
Given my change in diet in recent years, I felt the usual gingerbread wouldn’t do this year. But a Christmas without gingerbread is also not an option. Not in a million years. And to be fair sometimes I still buy gingerbread in the supermarket if I cannot resist. So making my own gingerbread seemed like a perfect solution this year.
I think, I could have made a fully raw version but I felt the biscuit was needed to stabilize the biscuit and the jam filling. So I won’t call them gingerbread hearts because that’s not what they are, I call them Gingerbread Bombs instead, because they are big and the taste is the bomb!
So say hi to these Vegan Gingerbread Bombs, all vegan and natural!
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups dates pre-soaked in water
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk or any other plant based milk
- 1 cup low sugar jam
- 100 g dark vegan chocolate
- In your blender mix the pre-soaked dates with the cocoa butter until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients until well combined. Remove from the blender and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Now make 10 balls push a mould into them with your finger and fill in half a teaspoon of jam. Then grab some more gingerbread dough and pop it on top and seal the sides so you 'close' it so the jam won't leak out of the gingerbread bomb.
- Melt your chocolate and dip the bombs into the chocolate.
For more healthy Christmas treats, check out my Christmas Nut Butters, my Matcha Moons, my No-Bake Pumpkin Donuts with Cookie Butter Stuffing, and my Healthy Christmas Cookie Collection!
If you are recreating my dishes I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram or Facebook @whensweetbecomeshealthy so I don’t miss it ♥