Aren’t these Raw Vegan Mushroom Treats just the cutest cookies you have ever seen? But can we just talk for a second about HOW MUCH they actually look like real mushrooms? I had so many people commenting that they thought they were actual mushrooms coated with chocolate. But be assured, they are made from delicious vegan cookie and the stems are made from dates.
How did I come up with this crazy idea to make little mushrooms from raw cookie dough? Well, it started with a cookie cutter…
The real inspiration behind these was an age-old mushroom cookie cutter from my mum which I dearly love. The initial idea was to cut out usual cookies from a raw dough but then I started thinking about the idea of a real mushroom treat instead. So I started playing wit the dough like a little kid putting things together and there they were.
What do you guys think? I think they would not only be the perfect treat for the healthy snacker but also very much for little and big kids like me! They look like winter and taste like Christmas!
The dough recipe for the Raw Vegan Mushroom Treats is adopted from my Gingerbread Bombs which is another healthy Christmas treat you should definetely check out!
Raw Vegan Mushroom Treats
Raw Mushroom Treats
- 10 dates for the mushrooms stems
- 2 cups dates pre-soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 tbsp cocoa butter melted
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp almond milk
White Chocolate Coating
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter melted
- 4 tsp coconut butter
- 1 tsp cocoa nibs for the mushroom freckles
- First cut your dates into halves. Mine were pitted and not very soft. It is ideal if the dates are slightly hard because they will be your mushroom stem.
- In your blender mix the pre-soaked dates with the melted cocoa butter until smooth.
- Add the hazelnuts, cashews, vanilla, salt, gingerbread spice, cacao powder and almond milk and mix until you get a pretty sticky dough.
- Remove from the blender and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Now using your hands form 10 balls (mine were around 6 cm diameteand cut into 2 halves. These are going to be your mushroom hats. Now carefully push a little mould into them with your fingertip so you can carefully push your half a date into it. Transfer to the freezer before dipping them in the white chooclate coating.
White Chooclate Coating
- Melt the cocoa butter with the coconut butter in a pan on low heat. If you want a very sweet coating you are free to add some maple syrup too.
- Now dip the mushroom hats several times into the melted white chocolate. I think, I dipped them around 5 times or so. If you go for the mushroom freckles add some cocoa nibs.
If you are recreating my Raw Vegan Mushroom Treats I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram or Facebook @whensweetbecomeshealthy so I don’t miss it ♥