The new year starts for me right here in beautiful Koh Phangan Thailand. It was a really need break from work and the hectic end of 2016. But lets start the new year in a tropical way with these beautiful Raw Vegan Coconut Bars with Blueberry and Sea-buckthorn.
I was so stressed out that I promised myself I would take a good beak from the world – and also the blog to start fresh and vibrant in 2017. So please forgive me for not being active and posting recipes for a while now. But I promise you I am back with so much more inspiration and plans for the new year. So I am sending you a big ‘hi’ from Thailand – a place where fresh fruit and coconut is abundant and massaging is par of everyday health rituals. Here I recharge my batteries, do lots of yoga and carefully eat my way through mountains of tropical fruit and traditioanl Thai dishes. So why not share some of that tropical goodness with you?
I am going to pair coconut with my everyday local superfoods like blueberry and sea-buckthorn. Blueberry bursts with antioxiants and vitamins. And if you haven’t heard of sea-buckthorn – I guess it is quite European. It’s a yellow fruit that contains tons of vitamin c. If you would like to read more about this wonder fruit click here. I usually have powdered version at home which is great for muesli and smoothies. So when combining all these wonderful flavors you will get a nutty tropical healthy treat which will blow your socks off.
Raw Vegan Coconut Bars with Blueberry and Sea-buckthorn
- 60g coconut flour (Tropicai)
- 40g almond flour
- 10g baobab powder
- 35g cocoa butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- pinch of vanilla and salt
- 1.5 cups maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut butter melted (I use Tropicai)
- 1 cup almond milk (use more if the dough is too crumbly)
- plus 200g of vegan chocolate for coating
1. In a bowl mix the coconut flour, almond flour, baobab powder, melted cocoa butter, almond butter, vanilla, salt, maple syrup, soft coconut butter, and almond milk (use more if the dough is too crumbly).
2. Divide into 2 bowls. Add to the first bowl: 1 tbsp blueberry powder + 1 tbsp water. Add to the second bowl: 1 tsp sea-buckthorn flour + 1 tsp sea-buckthorn jam (you could also use any other yellow fruit jam). Do not overmix, you want it to look slightliy patchy.
3. Line 2 brownie pans (or any square pans) with parchment paper and fill in the dough in each pan. Freeze for 2 hours, release from the pan and cut into rectangles. Coat your Raw Vegan Coconut Bars with Blueberry and Sea-buckthorn with vegan chocolate.
++If you are recreating my dishes I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram or Facebook @whensweetbecomeshealthy so I don’t miss it. ++
For more raw vegan treats try my Raw Cherry Bombs and my Almost Raw Peanut Chocolate Donuts with Coconut Rasberry Topping.