My latest sweet food obsession are donuts, yes! I honestly wouldn’t indulge in a donut very often cause I am trying to keep away from foods which are dipped in a whole bucket of oil. But when I made my Raw Hazelnut Donuts with Rainbow Frosting, I really fell in love and everyone else seemed to love them as well! So this is the next level of donut obsession: Almost Raw Peanut Chocolate Donuts with Coconut Raspberry Topping.
Tastewise, I don’t think it can get any better than this. Peanut butter and raw chocolate combination is always a winner – full stopp.
I honestly didn’t believe it would work as a raw treat but I was so wrong. The donut is soft and the chocolate cracks when you bite into it. Topped with fresh coconut whipped cream and raspberries this is one amazing explosion of textures and flavors. Since these donuts are very satisfying and filling (I can never eat more than 2!) I usually prepare either a smaller batch or make mini donuts as for this recipe.
So for these donuts I took the artisan approach: I bought raw peanuts, roasted them in the oven, deshelled them, grinding them up to make beautiful peanut butter. But you can happily take the easy route by choosing a nice organic peanut butter here.
I didn’t even use a donut pan. I simply cut out circles with 2 seized cookie cutters – no need for an extra baking tin! To make coconut cream follow the simple instructions from this recipe. You could sweeten it the coconut cream too. But I felt it was just the right balance of peanut butter, chocolate, fruit and cream! But whatever floats your boat here!
Almost Raw Peanut Chocolate Donuts with Coconut Raspberry Topping
- 5 cups roasted salted peanuts
- 30 soft pitted dates
- 5 tbsp vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate drops
- Pre-soak the pitted dates in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Make your own peanut butter by roasting the peanuts in the oven for 10-15 minutes (make sure they don’t burn). Let them cool and rub the peanuts with a tea towel so the shell comes off easily. Next, throw your peanuts into your high speed blender/food processor and blend until creamy. You could skip this whole step if you use store bought peanut butter.
- Blend vanilla essence, maple syrup, salt and drained dates.
- Form little patties with your hands, place them on a board and cut out the donut hole with a tiny round cookie cutter. I even used a the other end of a piping nozzle once – works perfectly fine.
- Transfer the donuts to the freezer for at least 3 hours/ overnight.
- Melt your favorite raw chocolate bar (preferably in the oven at not more than 40°C in a heat proof dish). Dip the donuts into the chocolate.
- Decorate with coconut whipped cream and fresh raspberries.
If you are recreating my Almost Raw Peanut Chocolate Donuts, I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram or Facebook @whensweetbecomeshealthy so I don’t miss it ♥ For other Raw Donut Recipes, try my Raw Hazelnut Donuts with Rainbow Frosting and my Raw Vegan TimTam’s!