Rocky Road is one of those things that I will always associate with New Zealand. I remember we used to go to Mangawhai up north to visit a tiny chocolate factory and the chocolate factory shop (of course!). Over there at Bennetts of Mangawhai I bought the best Rocky Road ever. I still remember that beautiful combination of chewy texture and chocolatey taste. Way too good for a chocolate junkie like me. I had to stop myself from finishing off the whole bag before we even left the store. That level of goodness!
The Rocky Road Factor
- 150g almonds (roasted in the oven for 10 minutes or raw)
- Popcorn (a microwave popcorn bag)
- 150g dried berry mix (cranberries, blueberries, aronia berries, cherries)
For the dark chocolate
- 2 cups creamed coconut + 1 cup almond milk + 4 tbsp cocoa powder + 1 cup maple syrup + ¼ tsp ground vanilla + ¼ tsp salt
For the pink chocolate
- 1.5 cups creamed coconut + ¾ cup almond milk + 2 tsp dragon fruit powder + ¾ cup maple syrup + pinch of vanilla + pinch of salt
Roast the almonds in the oven for 10 minutes or in a pan. Make sure you don’t burn them (happens super quickly!). Throw the popcorn bag in the microwave and let it do the work for you. You could go with the traditional method of popping them in a pot as well. Now line a square brownie pan and throw in the popcorn, almonds and dried berries. Now prepare the chocolate by mixing all ingredients for the dark and pink chocolate in separate bowls. Now pour in the dark chocolate first. Then pour the pink chocolate on top and grab a skewer or knife and make some round swirls. Let the chocolate harden for 30 minutes.