To celebrate those wonderful local superfoods I am going to show you how to whip up a healthy chocolate bark featuring local superfoods. A handful of ingredients only and fully customisable to your tastebuds! Dust off that old flaxseed jar and hit the kitchen. Treat yourself to this healthy chocolate bark or gift it to your loved ones!
Local Superfood Chocolate Bark
- ½ cup molasses or sugar beet syrup (agave syrup/rice syrup is perfect too)
- 2 tbsp linseed oil (amazing source of Omega-3)
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked organic amaranth
- 2 handful walnuts
- 1 handful hazelnuts
- 1 handful dried Aronia berries (you could also use any other locally grown dried fruit)
- 1 cup seeds/nuts of your choice (to stick with the local superfoods I chose linseed, sunflower seeds, and hemp seeds)
- 300g vegan chocolate (or any you like really)
- to decorate: flower sugar (I used the Sonnentor brand) and/or coconut slices
Carefully melt the molasses/syrup in a double boiler and add the oil. Whisk in the salt and the espresso powder and put aside. In a big bowl mix the amaranth, walnuts, hazelnuts, aronia berries and your seeds of choice. Pour in the syrup mixture and fold it under the dry ingredients. Make sure everything is covered nicely. Spread the mixture on a wax paper lined baking tray. Bake for half an hour or longer – it should look golden brown. Let it cool for 30 minutes. Melt the chocolate and pour over the bark, spread evenly with a spatula. Transfer to the fridge to chill. Now comes the best part – breaking this massive plate into chunks. Decorate the bark with cocoa nibs, dried fruits or dried flowers. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea or espresso!