I was on a mission to create a raw 2-layered chocolate bar with a chewy bottom part and a creamy topping enclosed in a chocolate coating that would crack once you bite into it! Sounds good to you? I envisioned 100% how the bars would look like and even in my mind they looked damn great to me! So check out these Creamy Peanut Butter Hemp Bars, the result of my chocolate bar making madness!
To be honest I loved all variations of my chocolate bar sesh but these Creamy Peanut Butter Hemp Bars were by far my favorite. And when I say creamy I mean creamy. It’s the kind of creamy that you get when taking out freshly whipped cream from the fridge. That good. I added some crunch (chocolate drops and peanuts) and of Peanut Butter itself. In other words, a dessert worth making, folks!
So what makes the cream layer so creamy? It’s the coconut cream! Therefore, to make your own perfect coconut cream leave a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. The next day open the can and only scoop out the solid white part. This is basically the coconut fat that separates from the coconut water. With this separation happening, it’s real easy to scoop out just the solid top. And this is what you want. Use the coconut water for drinks or smoothies. So when making your bars make sure you store them in the fridge this will keep it fresh and creamy at all times.
What I love about using coconut cream is that you are free to mix it with different ingredients to give it taste, color and crunchiness. So mix the coconut cream with fruit powders, nuts & seeds, chocolate powder, nut butters, sprinkles and whatever you can think of! Possibilities are endless! So how about creating your very own wholesome creamy bar! If you want to stick to my version here it comes:
Creamy Peanut Butter Hemp Bars (recipe makes 3 pretty big bars or 6 tiny bars; using a loaf tin)
Bottom Hemp Layer
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ tsp baobab powder (optional)
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup creamed coconut (melted)
- Pinch of salt and vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut water (I love this one)
- 20g chocolate melted
- Handful roasted but unsalted peanuts chopped
Peanut Butter Layer
- Coconut cream of ½ can of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt and vanilla
- 1/8 cup chocolate drops/chips
- 1 cup cocoa butter (melted)
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt & a pinch of ground vanilla (optional but worth it)
- 3 tsp maple syrup (or more if you prefer it sweeter)
1. For the bottom hemp layer, mix all ingredients in one bowl until you will end up with a sticky but workable dough.
2. Push the dough into a lined loaf tin. I only used half of the tin so my bottom hemp layer would be quite thick. If you prefer a thinner bottom layer simply press the dough into the whole loaf tin.
3. Melt 20g of chocolate and pour over the hemp layer and sprinkle with a handful salted roasted peanuts to add a wonderful crunchiness to the bars. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes while preparing the Peanut Butter cream layer.
4. In a bowl, mix the coconut cream with the Peanut Butter, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Then carefully fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Remove the loaf tin from the fridge and spread the Peanut Butter Cream on top. Transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes.
6. Release the bars from the tin by pulling up the parchment paper. Cut the bars into pieces with a sharp knife.
7. Prepare the chocolate coating by mixing all the ingredients. Dip the bars into the melted chocolate decorate your Creamy Peanut Butter Hemp Bars as desired and enjoy.